Take Me Outdoors Podcast Episode 20: Learn How PeopleForBikes is Fighting the Good Fight for the Biking Industry
“With an electric bike, it reduces the barriers of distance, of speed..electric bikes just give you a little boost and make the bike a more viable solution.”
Bikes can be a great solution to your common car commuting woes. Whether it’s a traditional bike, or the up and coming e-bike, they certainly clean up the commute for many of us out there. Did you know about the PeopleForBikes community, who actually look out for your biking rights, and ensure you get to keep the rights that make it so fun? For us outdoor enthusiasts, we may not realize all the work that goes into getting our amazing gear.
Jenn Dice joins us to discuss PeopleForBikes, a community of bikers housing over 1.3 million members. Jenn is the VP of PeopleForBikes, a company that unites millions of individuals and hundreds of communities making it easier to ride! Prior to that, she worked at the International Mountain Biking Association for 10 years doing government affairs. She’s been helping the outdoor industry for many many years, even being inducted into the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame as of September 2014!
- PeopleForBikes works to make every bike ride better by getting more people riding, more often!
- Jenn started at PeopleForBikes four years ago!
- PeopleForBikes has around 1.3 million members at the moment.
- P4B is for everybody, enabling all types of riders, providing more access. Everyone is welcome.
- The biggest area P4B has been active in, in the state and local arena, is electric bikes.
- There are 770,000 jobs in the biking industry alone.
- An electric bike is just like a regular bike, with a boost.
- There are three different classes for the electric bikes.
- E-bikes appeal to an older crowd as well, who may have issues riding regular bikes.
- E-bikes are a great solution to commuting.
- There were plenty bad bike bills in the year 2016, including one that proposed a required license and registration!
- 99 times out of 100 PeopleForBikes kill bad bike bills.
- PeopleForBikes coalition has a “dues paying” team of around $200,000.
- Get involved in advocacy! What can you do locally for cycling?
- There’s a lot of overlap between tech and bikes.
- Action Sports
- Content Marketing
- Expert Series
- Gear Guide
- Health and Wellness
- How To
- Playing for Pints
- PR 360
- Press Releases
- Rock Climbing
- Social Influence
- Social Trends
- Take Me Outdoors
- Tuesdays with KCO
- Verde Business
- Verde Culture